TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. In these terms and conditions the following words have the following meanings:
You, your – the customer named in the Schedule
We, us, our – Goddard Self Storage Ltd
Goods – anything that you bring on the site and store in the unit
Unit – the storage unit specified in the Schedule or any alternative
storage unit we may specify under condition 13
Commencement Date – the date specified in the Schedule
Site – the premises on which the unit is situated
Access Hours – the hours we permit access to the unit
Prohibited Items – those items specified in condition 10
Deposit – the amount specified in the Schedule
Licence Fees – the amount specified in the schedule
Payment Due Date – the payment due date specified in the schedule and the corresponding
date in each period specified in the schedule or the previous business day if the payment due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday
Your Right to Occupy
2. We permit you but no other person to use the unit in accordance with these terms and conditions
from the Commencement Date until this agreement is terminated.
3. You must inspect the Unit before storing any goods and inform us if you believe it is damaged
or unsuitable for your requirements in any way. If you do not do so the unit will be deemed to
be suitable for you and in good condition at the Commencement Date.
Access to the Unit by You and by Us
4. You may have access to the Unit at anytime during Access Hours. No access to the Unit will be
permitted outside these hours. We may change the Access Hours at any time without giving any
HI-VIZ Vest must be worn at all times on site. These can be provided at a charge of £10.00
NO SMOKING IS PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON SITE
5. Only you and persons authorised in writing or accompanied by you will be permitted to have
access to the Unit. You may withdraw any authorisation at any time but the withdrawal will
not be effective until we receive it in writing. We may ask for proof of identity from you or any other person at any time (although we are not obliged to do so) and we may refuse access to any
person (including you) who is unable to provide satisfactory proof of identity.
6. We will provide a padlock for the Unit at a cost of £25 and you must ensure that it is locked at
all times when you are not in attendance. We will not be responsible for locking any unlocked
Unit. We will retain a key to the padlock.
7. You will permit us (and our agents or workmen) to enter the Unit at any time in an emergency
and otherwise if we give you not less than three days notice so that we may inspect it or carry
out repairs, maintenance and alterations to the Unit or any other Unit or part of the site or ensure
compliance with these terms and conditions or for any other purpose.
8. We may enter the Unit at any time without notifying you (and if necessary we may break the
lock to gain entry):-
i. if we believe that the Unit contains Prohibited Items or is being used in breach of those
terms and conditions
ii. if we are required to so by the Police, Fire Services, Local Authority or by a Court Order
or any compliant Authority.
iii. if we believe it is necessary in an emergency
iv. to obtain access in accordance with conditions 7,14,20 and 21
v. to prevent injury or damage to persons or property; or
vi. if we are of the opinion that any of the above apply, for the purposes of ascertaining this.
9. You warrant that the goods you are storing in the Unit are your own property or the person who
owns or has interest in them has given authority to you to store them in the Unit.
10. You may only use the Unit for storage and not for any other purpose. You must not store (and
you must not allow any other person to store) any of the following in the Unit:-
i. food or perishable goods unless securely packed so that they are protected from vermin;
ii. birds, fish, animals or any other living creatures;
iii. combustible or flammable materials or liquids such as paint, petrol, oil, or cleaning solvents;
iv. explosives, weapons or ammunition;
v. chemicals, radioactive materials, biological agents;
vi. toxic waste, asbestos or other materials of dangerous nature;
vii. any item which emits any fumes, smells or odour;
viii. compressed gases;
xi. no more than 2 fridges.
10.a storage of vehicles
i. Vehicles must be stored with as little fuel in as possible and extra fuel in any container
must not be put inside the storage unit.
ii. During the summer months the container must be opened and aired for at least half an hour
every week. You must sign in at the office every visit when airing your unit to record the date and time. We can offer our services to do this for you if required at a charge of £10
per month and we will record the time and date for you.
There is always the possibility of condensation forming inside the storage unit and it is
highly recommended that moisture absorbing poles are placed inside the container (between
2 to 4 at least). We can supply these at a charge of £30 each. It is also recommended when
storing furniture that you cover with plastic sheets to avoid any drips of condensation from the
roof to avoid any damage to your goods. Photocopy leaflet of absorbing poles attached.
11. You must not (and you must not allow any other person to) :-
i. use the Unit to do anything on the Site or in the Unit which may be a nuisance to us or
to users of any other unit;
ii. do anything on the Site or in the Unit which may invalidate any of our insurance policies
(or those of other Unit users) or increase the premiums;
iii. use the Unit as offices or living accommodation poste restante or as a home or business
iv. spray paint or do any mechanical work of any kind in the Unit;
v. attach anything to the walls, ceiling, floors or doors of the Unit or make any alteration
to the Unit;
vi. allow any liquid, substance, smell or odour to escape from the Unit or any noise to be
audible or vibration to be felt outside the Unit;
vii. cause any damage to the Unit or any other Unit on the Site or it’s facilities or to the
property and possessions of us or any of our other customers and if you cause any
damage you must (at our option) repair, restore or replace such damaged item or reimburse our costs in making necessary repairs, restoration or replacement;
viii. cause any obstruction or undue hindrance in any passageway, stairway, service area or
other part of the Site and you must at all times exercise courtesy to others in using these
ix. nothing to be left outside of the container.
12. You must:-
i. inform us immediately of any damage to the Unit;
ii. comply with the directions of any of our employees or agents at the Site and any further
regulations for use of the Unit which we may issue from time to time.
13. We may at any time by giving you seven days’ written notice require you to remove your
goods from one Unit to another Unit specified by us. The alternative Unit shall be of a
similar size to the current Unit.
14. Removal of your goods from the current Unit to the alternative Unit will be at your expense. If
you do not arrange the removal of your goods to the alternative Unit by the time specified in the
notice, we may enter the Unit and arrange for the goods to be moved. Any removal arranged by
us will be at your risk (except for loss or damage caused wilfully or negligently by us or our removal agents) and the removal expenses will be payable by you and we may add them to the Licence fee.
15. If your goods are moved to an alternative Unit, this Agreement will be varied by the substitution
of the alternative Unit number but this Agreement will otherwise continue in full force and effect and the Licence Fees will continue to apply to the alternative Unit.
16. You must pay us the Deposit when you sign this Agreement. The Deposit will be returned to
you (without interest) within 21 days after this Agreement terminates less any amount we may
deduct to cover:-
i. repairing any damage to the Unit, Site or any other Unit caused by you, your agents or
invitee or by the goods stored in the Unit;
ii. any unpaid Licence Fees or removal or other charges; or
iii. any other obligation to us that have not discharged in full.
17. You must pay us the Licence Fees for the minimum period of storage of this agreement and
thereafter must pay the Licence Fees on the payment due date. If you do not pay the Licence Fees on the payment due date, you will immediately become liable to pay a late payment charge equal to ten percent of the Licence Fees (subject to minimum charge of £5) for each period of two weeks or any part of it that the Licence Fees (including any late payment or other charges) remain
unpaid after the payment due date.
18. In the event that any cheque is dishonoured, we may make a further charge of £12 on each
occasion that your cheque is returned.
19. If you do not pay the Licence Fees at any time, by giving you written notice and the new Licence
fees shall take effect on the first payment due date occurring not less than four weeks after the date of notice.
Non Payment of Licence Fees
20. If you do not pay the Licence Fees on the payment due date or the late payment charge or either, we may exclude you from the Site and from the Unit and we may break the lock on the Unit and install a new lock, whether or not we have exercised our right to terminate this Agreement. Exercising our right to exclude you from the Site and the Unit does not affect your obligation to pay any unpaid future Licence Fees or late payment charges.
21. If any part of the Licence Fees or the late payment charge is outstanding one month after the
Payment due date then we may:-
i. give you written notice that we will remove all the goods in the Unit if you have not
paid all outstanding amounts due in full within 72 hours of the posting of that notice
by us to you at your address set out in the Schedule;
ii. on expiry of the notice in sub-condition 21 (i), remove all the goods in the Unit to any
alternative storage facilities that we may decide without incurring any liability for loss or
damage to the goods arising from the removal and alternative storage;
iii. charge you full costs of removing the goods from the Unit and alternative storage costs
together with any repeated costs if we require to move goods at anytime afterwards;
iv. sell the goods on your behalf and pass good title to them and use the proceeds of the sale
to discharge any outstanding Licence Fees and the other charges due to us. If the
proceeds of the sale are insufficient to discharge your outstanding liability to us then you
will remain liable for the balance and we may take any action we consider necessary to
recover the outstanding amounts;
v. treat any goods not sold as abandoned and destroy or otherwise dispose of them.
22. Either you or we may terminate this Agreement by giving no less than thirty days
written notice ending on any Due Date and termination will take effect from that Due
23. You may not terminate this Agreement if any Licence Fees or other charges are
outstanding or if you are otherwise in breach of this Agreement.
24. We may terminate this Agreement immediately by giving you written notice if you are
In breach of any term of this Agreement.
25. On termination of this Agreement you must remove all goods from the Unit and leave
the Unit clean and tidy and in the same condition as at the Commencement Date. We
may charge you if we have to clean the Unit or dispose of any goods or rubbish left in
the Unit or on the Site.
26. We may treat any goods remaining in the Unit after termination as abandoned and may
dispose of them in accordance with Condition 21 (iv) and (v).
27. We do not insure your goods whilst in the Unit. Storage of goods in the Unit is at your
sole risk and you must insure them at their full replacement value.
28. Storage of the goods in the unit is at your sole risk and our liability for loss or damage to
your goods caused by normal perils, including as a result of our negligence will not
29. Any other representations, conditions, warranties or other terms, whether written or oral,
express or implied, statutory or otherwise which are or may be inconsistent with this condition are expressly excluded.
30. You will indemnify us and hold us harmless against all claims, demands, liabilities,
damages, costs and expenses incurred by us or by any of our servants, agents or other
customers which arises out of the use of your Unit or the Site by you or any of your
servants, agents or invitees or arises out of this Agreement by you.
31. Any notice given under this agreement must be in writing and may be served by
personal delivery, or by pre-paid post. Any notice to you may be sent to the address
stated in the Schedule or any other address which you notify to us in writing.
Any notice to you will also be sent to any owner (whether sole, joint or co-owners) of
which we have been notified by you. Any notice to us must be sent to our address set out in the Schedule. Notices will be effectively served immediately if served personally or
forty-eight hours after they have been placed in the post.
32. We shall not be liable for any loss or damage which you suffer as a direct or indirect
result of our performance of this Agreement being prevented, hindered or delayed by reason of any Act of God, riot, strike, lock-out, trade dispute or labour disturbance, accident, break-down of plant or machinery, fire, flood, difficulty in obtaining workmen,
material or transport, electrical power failures or other circumstances whatsoever outside
our control and which affect the provision by us of access to the use of the Unit.
33. Any delay by us in exercising any of our rights under this Agreement will not impair our
rights or be a waiver of those rights, nor will any partial exercise of any right preclude
a further exercise of that right.
34. You may not assign any of your rights under this Agreement or part with possession of
the Unit to any other person, firm or company.
35. No variation of these terms and conditions will be effective unless expressly accepted
in writing by us and signed by one of our directors. None of our employees or agents who
is not also a director has any authority to vary these terms and conditions on our behalf
whether orally or in writing.
36. Every provision in these terms and conditions is severable and distinct from every other
provision if at any time one or more of such provisions is or becomes invalid,
illegal or unenforceable, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining
provisions will not be affected in any way.
37. This Agreement shall be governed by English Law and you and we submit to the
exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
38. Goddard Self Storage Ltd disclaims any liability and shall not be held liable for any
damages including, without limitation, direct, indirect or consequential damages
including loss of revenue, loss of profit, loss of opportunity or other loss whilst on